The New Zealand Times reports that a unique and interesting wedding took place on board the s.s. Wakatipu on Thursday afternoon, when Mr. Chin Ting, a well-known and well-to-do storekeeper from Pahiatua, was united in the bonds of matrimony by the Rev Mr Ogg to Miss Ching Fan, of Hong-Kong. The latter came by the Wakatipu in charge of another Chinese lady, in the capacity of chaperon, and left the boat only after she had become Mrs Chin Ting. The ceremony was witnessed by a large number of Chinamen and white people, and the principals were most stylishly attired, and attracted a great deal of attention. It is stated that a formal application will be made for a refund of the poll tax on Mrs Ting, and that if this is not complied with, a test case will be given that a Chinese woman married to a naturalised Chinaman before landing in New Zealand is under existing law exempt from the poll tax.
- Auckland Star. (1898, February 4). Auckland Star, p. 4. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AS18980204.2.44
- Daily Circulation. 1700. the Oamaru Mail. Tuesday, January 25, 1898. (1898, January 25). Oamaru Mail, p. 2. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OAM18980125.2.18
- Local & General. (1898a, January 27). Lake County Press, p. 2. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/LCP18980127.2.4
- Local & General. (1898b, January 27). Otago Witness, p. 20. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OW18980127.2.75
- Local and General News. (1898, January 25). Marlborough Express, p. 2. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/MEX18980125.2.6
- Local and General. (1898a, January 22). Hastings Standard, p. 2. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/HAST18980122.2.8
- Local and General. (1898b, January 26). Ashburton Guardian, p. 2. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AG18980126.2.4
- Local and General. (1898c, January 28). Patea Mail, p. 2. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/PATM18980128.2.5
- Notes and Comments. (1898, January 25). Thames Star, p. 2. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/THS18980125.2.9
- Personal Items. (1898, January 24). New Zealand Herald, p. 6. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH18980124.2.65
- Personal Items. (1898, January 21). New Zealand Times, p. 2. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZTIM18980121.2.11
- Thames Advertiser. (1898, January 26). Thames Advertiser, p. 4. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/THA18980126.2.47
- Things Slowly Learned. (1898, February 4). Clutha Leader, p. 3. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CL18980204.2.5
- Woodville Examiner. (1898, January 24). Woodville Examiner, p. 2. Retrieved from http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WOODEX18980124.2.6
Scroll and zoom on the map to explore locations in Wellington of significance to the Wellington Chinese community.