The Association was established with specific intention of being a national Chinese organisation that represented and worked for the well-being of the Chinese people in New Zealand. It main objectives include:
- To provide New Zealand Chinese the means of mutual help, social interchange and recreation.
- To promote the intellectual, moral and physical well-being of Chinese in New Zealand.
- To unite and co-operate for cultural and educational purposes.
- To deal with matters concerning the welfare of Chinese in New Zealand.
- To be and remain non-political and non-religious.
In 2018, the New Zealand Chinese Association had 14 branches and one sub branch located throughout New Zealand:
- Auckland Branch
- Waikato Branch
- Gisborne Branch
- Hawkes Bay Branch
- Taranaki Branch
- Wanganui Branch
- Manawatu Branch
- Horowhenua-Kapiti Branch
- Wellington Branch
- Canterbury Branch
- South Canterbury Branch
- North Otago Branch
- Otago-Southland Branch
- Invercargill Sub Branch
The Association has premises in Wellington located at 23-25 Marion Street, Wellington which are used for administration purposes. These premises are also used by the Wellington Branch. In 1950, the Association purchased the Hotel Mayo, at 9 - 11 Marion Street, to be used as a private hotel for members.----
- New Zealand Chinese Association. (2018). History. Retrieved 5 March 2018, from http://www.nzchinese.org.nz/about-us/history/
- Wellington City Council Me Heke Ki Poneke. (2017). Hotel Mayo, Chinese Association Building. Retrieved 23 September 2019, from Wellington Heritage—Absolutely Positively Wellington City Council Me Heke Ki Poneke website: http://www.wellingtoncityheritage.org.nz/buildings/151-300/209-commercial-building-9-11-marion-street?fbclid=IwAR2IaEBh1hVMKqFdAquHN8mv5gufC5Jk9PJzEPZlYYhwY2j_J-ELVBYpG0g
- National Library of New Zealand. (1950). The New Zealand Chinese Association building [Photograph]. Retrieved from http://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE362073&fbclid=IwAR0yf5QR9EGk94OLf0SyXPQ68gtMSayaGIWL_0HJO2Jvs-7PDTYVBUOOW_0
Scroll and zoom on the map to explore locations in Wellington of significance to the Wellington Chinese community.
All items (13)