Evening Post, Volume LIV, Issue 8, 9 July 1897
FIRE IN A CHINESE QUARTER
A CHINAMAN BURNED TO DEATH.
At half-past 1 o'clock this morning a fire broke out in a four-roomed house of two stories in Haining-street kept by a Chinaman named Jo Farr, as a boarding-house. The building was gutted before the flames could be subdued by the Fire Brigade. The origin of the fire is supposed to have been accidental.
One of the inmates, a Chinese gardener named Jo Li, received severe burns about the legs and head in making his escape from an upstairs room. He was taken to a neighbour's house, where his injuries were temporarily attended to. The police sent for Dr. Mackin, who ordered the unfortunate man's removal to the Hospital. His condition was at once recognised as critical, and at 10.20 this morning he expired.
An inquest will be held at 3 p.m. tomorrow, at the Hospital.
- FIRE IN A CHINESE QUARTER, Evening Post, Volume LIV, Issue 8, 9 July 1897, Page 6, http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP18970709.2.44
Scroll and zoom on the map to explore locations in Wellington of significance to the Wellington Chinese community.