Wellington Chinese History Wiki
Early Chinese activity in Wellington historically centred around Haining Street and Frederick Street, which was unofficially known as Wellington's Chinatown, or 'Tong Yan Gaai' (Chinese People's Street).
Although this wiki focuses on the greater Wellington area, there will be some content from further afield, which has a connection with the history of Chinese in Wellington.
Recently updated articles
- Chinese Shops in Wellington 18 hours ago
- The official opening of the new headquarters of the Wellington branch of the Kuo-Min-Tang (the Chinese Nationalist Party) 23 hours ago
- Joe Kum Yung 5 days ago
- Helene Wong
- George Gee
- Edna Lowe
- Ching Fan
- Victor Lo Keong (Victor Low)
- Ah Go Market Garden
- Ah Go
- Clarence Eric Kee
- Tung Jung Association
- William Alfred Gee
- Lest We Forget The Other – Chinese and Indian contributions to ANZAC
- Wong She & Co
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Timespanner. (2018, December 11). Timespanner: Early Chinese in Wellington. Retrieved 10 December 2018, from https://timespanner.blogspot.com/2018/12/early-chinese-in-wellington.html
- ↑ Wellington City Council. (2013). Thematic Heritage Study of Wellington. Retrieved 8 November 2017, from https://wellington.govt.nz/~/media/services/community-and-culture/heritage/files/thematic-heritage-study.pdf?la=en
- ↑ The Prow, & Stade, K. (2008). Appo Hocton – Jumped ship to become first Chinese Immigrant to New Zealand. Retrieved August 31, 2017, from http://www.theprow.org.nz/people/appo-hocton/#.Waht38ig-Uk
- ↑ HO, D. K. T. (2016). Appo HOCTON. Retrieved November 29, 2017, from https://www.objectaffection.com/appohocton/
- ↑ New Zealand Ministry for Culture and Heritage Te Manatu Taonga, & Spoonley, P. (2017, August 1). Welcoming Chinese miners, 1865 [Web page]. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://teara.govt.nz/en/cartoon/28172/welcoming-chinese-miners-1865
Scroll and zoom on the map to explore locations in Wellington of significance to the Wellington Chinese community.
Note: Number in black (eg: 8) indicate more than one place of interest. Please zoom in to view.