New Zealand Chinese communities has a long history in Wellington, New Zealand, with the earliest Chinese settling in Wellington around the 1860s when John Ah Tong set up a carpentry business in Willis Street. Chinese didn't arrive in significant numbers until the 1880s, some 30 years after Wong Ah Poo Hoc Ting (aka Appo Hocton) jumped ship in Nelson to become the first Chinese migrant to New Zealand, and only a few years after the Dunedin Chamber of Commerce invited Chinese miners to Otago
Early Chinese activity in Wellington historically centred around Haining Street and Frederick Street, and Sage's Lane, which was unofficially known as Wellington's Chinatown, or 'Tong Yan Gaai' (Chinese People's Street).
Although this wiki focuses on the greater Wellington area, there will be some content from further afield, which has a connection with the history of Chinese in Wellington, or may just be snippets of information that are of interest.
- Timespanner. (2018, December 11). Timespanner: Early Chinese in Wellington. Retrieved 10 December 2018, from https://timespanner.blogspot.com/2018/12/early-chinese-in-wellington.html
- Early Chinese Settlers in New Zealand. (2020, January 31). BEACON. http://www.bhb.nz/63/post/2020/01/early-chinese-settlers-in-new-zealand.html
- Wellington City Council. (2013). Thematic Heritage Study of Wellington. Retrieved 8 November 2017, from https://wellington.govt.nz/~/media/services/community-and-culture/heritage/files/thematic-heritage-study.pdf?la=en
- The Prow, & Stade, K. (2008). Appo Hocton – Jumped ship to become first Chinese Immigrant to New Zealand. Retrieved August 31, 2017, from http://www.theprow.org.nz/people/appo-hocton/#.Waht38ig-Uk
- HO, D. K. T. (2016). Appo HOCTON. Retrieved November 29, 2017, from https://www.objectaffection.com/appohocton/
- Appo Hocton panel unveiling. (2020, August 19). Our Nelson. https://our.nelson.govt.nz/stories/appo-hocton-panel-unveiling/
- New Zealand Ministry for Culture and Heritage Te Manatu Taonga, & Spoonley, P. (2017, August 1). Welcoming Chinese miners, 1865 [Web page]. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://teara.govt.nz/en/cartoon/28172/welcoming-chinese-miners-1865
Scroll and zoom on the map to explore locations in Wellington of significance to the Wellington Chinese community.
Note: Number in black (eg: 8) indicate more than one place of interest. Please zoom in to view.